It has always been practical for man to name a place he has seen or set foot upon. Places are named even before recorded history. To resign to the idea that the Spaniards are the benevolent namers of our islands is wrong.
Language eventually developed unique for each place. For our islands we have “ALIBATA”. Yet it’s most important recording were not widely preserved. This was made more complicated and unfortunate when we became a conquered colony of Spain. Thus, most of our recorded history are now limited to the Spanish Era,
How a place got its name evokes the usual immortal image of a conquistador asking a local native in Español . Things would always get mixed-up because of the language barrier, and then the first utterance of the local word ends up to be the name of the place.
Barangay PAJO SAN ISIDRO was fortunate to have preserved some of its old writings. With it, some parts of its history still exists. A Religious recording called “INVENTARIO, SANTUARIO NI SAN ISIDRO LABRADOR SA VINISITAHAN PAJO, DIOCESE NIN LEGAZPI, ALBAY Y CATANDUANES, FILIPINAS” was maintained by the local religious leaders since then. This is the main source of information among others about how the barrio/barangay got its name.
In the year 1852 Capitan Municipal Don Agustin Arcilla was a visitor, “visita”, of the then sitio of Barrio Cavinitan. He admired the fertile land of the place. Pajo River empties out into the ocean in this location. Still built up for a very long time and the Nipa and Mangrove swamp made the land even more fertile and very ideal for cultivation. He decreed for the place to be called “BALOMBON” which means Fertile Land and “GALUBANG” which means a river bank.
In 1853, a gathering of visitors, “VISITAS”, took place in Balombon. Reputable and dignified men, who are mostly religious leaders, came from the nearby barrios of Sto. Domingo, Hawan, Antipolo, Cavinitan, Palnab and many others.
In this gathering, they agreed to change the name of the place from Balombon/Galubang to “VINISITAHAN PAJO”. Vinisitahan which means visited, owing to the visitors frequenting the place. Pajo came from the word “MALA PAJO” referring to the Rubber Tree that abounds in the place from which paste is harvested.
Present during this gathering were Pedro Posada, Valentin Talan, Jose Sorreda, Teodoro Tacorda, and many others who were mostly religious leaders.
In 1929 Vocal Cornelio Posada of Centro Catolico and a resident of Vinisitahan Pajo, initiated a move towards independence as a barrio from being a Sitio of Barrio Cavinitan.
In January of 1929, he invited the President of the Centro Catolico Senior Valentin Mendoza and Secretario Municipal Senior Alfonso Pantino in a gathering. In an audience before the people at the residence of Senior Juan Talan, Senior Mendoza, presented the PETITION for Vinisitahan Pajo to become an independent barrio from being a Sitio of Barrio Cavinitan. That, San Isidro Labrador is the Patron Saint of Farmers, then the new Barrio as independent already, residents decided to have it as the Patron Saint of the barrio.
The petition initiated in 1929, eventually became successful in 1934. The President of Centro Catolico administered the first election of the Local Centro Catolico of Barrio Vinisitahan Pajo. Barrio Vinisitahan Pajo was declared independent from Barrio Cavinitan.
Vinisitahan Pajo was called “San Isidro Pajo” in 1940. It was eventually called “Pajo San Isidro” upon the agreement and as mandated by the Barangay Leaders, Balbino Vargas, Luis Tabo, Macario Sambajon, Pedro Posada, Teodorico Matienzo, Basillio Masagca and many others. All of them served as Religious and Civil Leaders of the barangay.
Main Reference: “Inventario, Santuario ni San Isidro Labrador sa Vinisitahan Pajo, Diocese nin Legazpi, Albay y Catanduanes, Filipinas”.