From the exploits of Juan de Salcedo, Virac was first visited in 1573 by his own men in pursuit of pirates operating in the Bicol Peninsula. In Virac, the Spanish found a tribe under the leadership of one Datu Lumibao whose wife Melbigan and son Macaco were living with him in a dwelling underneath a huge blooming tree adjacent to a spring source.
The flowers called “burac” by the natives which was erroneously interpreted to denote the name of the place by visitors was subsequently changed to Virac through the years. Virac became officially recognized as a unit of governance only in 1755 as it was only during that year when records were started to be faithfully kept.